Friday, June 27, 2008

I have arrived

Well, after months of waiting I finally have made it to Lima. I had a long travel day yesterday starting with a 10:30am flight out of OKC. Then I was supposed to have a four hour layover in Houston, but storms turned that into a 7 1/2 hour layover... so I didn't arrive in Peru until 2am. Luckily, my boss, Marcos, had arranged for a driver to come and pick me up and take me to my apartment, so I left customs and saw my driver waiting for me with a "Miss Leslie Eldridge" sign in hand.

I am staying with a Peace Corps officer, Neil, who is out of town for the next couple of weeks. The apartment is very nice and even comes with a housekeeper, Dani. I have my own room and bathroom and free reign over the kitchen, etc. I'm really lucky that Marcos set this up for me.

My spanish is coming back to me quickly. I still get pretty nervous chatting with folks, but Peruvians have been very friendly and patient with me thus far. I can tell that this will help my spanish immensely; let's hope that I don't lose it again after leaving.

Anyhow, I'm exhausted so I am going to head to bed. I'll write about my first day of work tomorrow. Hasta luego.

1 comment:

M said...

Les! You're blogging! Yay! Great picture...also, love that your driver had a sign. Fabulous. I'm inspired - maybe I'll update my own blog this weekend. Hope you've got plans for a great Saturday in Lima!