Thursday, June 12, 2008

A long overdue update

I knew that I wouldn't have a lot of time for posting this spring, due to the absolute craziness of my school and work schedules, but I didn't realize it would take me nearly 6 months. My apologies to the one person I know reads this and the few who will in the future. The goal of this little blog is/was to document the entire process surrounding my internship, rather than just what happened once I got to Peru. Well, there goes that. I guess I can give a brief synopsis of how things have gone so far, so here goes...

Immediately after receiving my assignment I got to work on all of my security clearance paperwork. Most of this is not really paperwork anymore, as it is online, but this really just means that I don't have to pay as much postage... the work is still there. After listing off everyone that I know and every place that I've lived, I pressed submit. That left the fingerprints and a couple of minor forms. I went to the UofC police department to get my fingerprints taken and to be friendly with the cops who were curious as to why I needed fingerprinting. And of course, I ended up mailing my package the day on which it needed to be postmarked. This should not surprise anyone.

Several weeks later I received a phone call from a State Department investigator. He needed to interview me in order to complete my security clearance. We met at the Reynolds Club, my regular study hangout, and he asked me some interesting questions. I laughed at most of them as they seemed fairly ridiculous, but I guess that means I passed the test.

A few weeks later I found out that I was "secure," so then I began other preparations. My flights have been booked, and I've made plans to live with a Harris School friend's boyfriend's mom in Lima. I've had contact with the other interns at the embassy, and all of them start before I do.

Right now I am still filling out forms and getting shots, etc. I've run out of time for today, but I'm sure I'll write something a little more detailed in the next few days.

No comments: